Friday, February 17, 2012

2-17 Shopping in Catania

The skys over Catania finally cleared.  That must mean we're about to leave town.  What a fun day we had.  Juan had off and joined us for a shopping trip into Catania.  But before that I got up early to have a quick cappicino and pastry with a wonderful young lady and fellow Wisconsinite currently living in this area with her Navy husband.

I first heard of Jill while searching the internet for information on Catania/Signella for this trip.  Her blog, The Cinquecento Project, came up and I was hooked.  The week before we headed this way we exchanged emails and agreed to meet.  Unfortunately between our schedules we were only able to meet up this morning for a quick, very quick visit.  She picked me up and off we went to Motta.  Jill, I'm so glad we made the time to meet.  And I'm so happy you are living your dream of living in Italy.  I look forward to following your adventure.

After making a new friend, Tony, Juan & I bussed into Catania for a shopping trip.  Well, we didn't really buy anything except for a new cap for my husband.  But we had a wonderful time walking around Old Catania.  Just like our visits to Taormina, Caltagirone and Motta, every turn of a corner revealed another charming Sicilian street.  It's so unlike my suburban existance, I love experiencing it...but I must admit I'm beginning to miss the comforts of my home.

We grabbed some lunch just off Elephant Square (Piazza Duomo) and walked back to catch the bus back to NAS1.  Early to bed tonight.  We've got some packing to do tomorrow morning before we head to Enna during the day and then down to the Marina to catch our overnight ferry to the mainland.  Bon Voyage.

1 comment:

  1. Betty - it was a joy to meet you, too! Thanks for making time for the quick breakfast. Happy travels...

    ReplyDelete